1. He remembers every story about your ex and would never do the things he did. That guy who licked your face last summer?
The guy who slept with you and then stopped calling you for no reason? Yeah, he remembers all of that and it scarred his brain and now he will not so much as come close to licking your face ever or being a total d**k out of nowhere, don’t you worry.
2. You know all about his issues with his ex, so you’re not wondering what he likes and doesn’t like. If his last girlfriend texted him 4,000 times a day, you know not to text him 4,000 times a day and thus, only text him 3,999 times a day. Perfect.
3. You already trust him, which makes you, like, 80 percent less nail-bitingly nervous about everything. One of the hardest parts about dating someone new is “oh my god, who even is this stranger?!” but with him, you already have a pretty good sense of who he is because you’ve spent the last year hanging out with him like pals. Fear is therefore drastically reduced.
4. He already knows some of your #issues and is fine with them. He knows that you start imagining he’s dead on the side of the road when he doesn’t text you back for eight hours so he does his best not to make you think he’s dead.
5. If he’s the type of guy who would’ve been your friend whether you eventually dated or not, he’s already the best kind of guy to date. We all know the guys who meet you and become friends with you but are really only doing that because they hope one day you’ll bone and then if you ever get a boyfriend, they hate you. They are the worst! With him, you’ve always known he would be your friend either way because he genuinely likes you no matter what, which is the best foundation ever for a kickass relationship.
6. You know how to make each other laugh, so telling him a joke isn’t like throwing piles of dust into the wind. When you date strangers, it’s so hard to know what their sense of humor is or what they find funny, so often you feel like a total weirdo when a joke doesn’t land because he doesn’t get it or it’s not his thing. With your guy though, you’re already on the same page with that stuff and everything pretty much always lands (unless you make a series of bad puns that you knew were bad, but you just had to say them. You just had to!)
7. It’s been like a year of the hottest foreplay of your life. At this point, you’ve had so many months of near hand-holds and “damn it, I want to kiss you but I won’t” moments that the build-up is so much more~*intense*~ than it would’ve been if you’d waited three freaking dates to kiss. Think about it! Nothing is hotter.
8. You know the basics about his childhood and any possible weirdness there. No, you haven’t met his family yet but you know what his sister does for work, and if he had a brother who was not that nice to him, and whether or not he had a nice or crappy childhood, all of which allowed you to understand him way more than a guy on Tinder you’ve spoken to for 60 minutes about sports.
9. You can tell when he’s stressed versus mad versus has a personality disorder. At this point, it’s easy as pie to tell when he’s being weird because he’s working too much or because he’s kind of pissed off at you because of something you said or if he needs help because he’s probably an alcoholic who won’t admit it. Three very, very different things that are handled three very, very different ways, but at least you know!
10. He’s not going to take you to some crappy hellhole you hate on your first date. If you’re more of a “cute sushi place with twinkle lights in the windows” gal, he totally knows that and you will not end up at “dark sports bar with lots of screaming.” Bless his heart.
11. You’re basically already on your six-month mark by the time you have your first date.You know, the period where you don’t feel 4,000 percent sure of your future together, but you’re damn sure of how you feel about each other now because you know this person and at the same time, there’s still so much left to know about each other and so many adventures to be had. And you can’t think of a better person to do that with than him.