KKD in court with his Dad


The state Thursday served the celebrity broadcaster, Kwasi Kyei Darkwah, popularly known as KKD, with a bill of indictment for his alleged raping of a 19-year-old student.
The serving of the bill of indictment, which includes the summary of evidence and witnesses who will give evidence in the case, paves the way for the committal hearing of the case to begin.
At its sitting yesterday, the prosecution told the Kaneshie Magistrate Court that the state had also filed the bill of indictment processes at the Fast Track High Court, where the case will be transferred to after the committal stage.

Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Mr Moses Atibilla, therefore, prayed the court to adjourn the hearing for a week for the committal hearing to commence.
Lead counsel for KKD, Mr Tony Forson, told the court, presided over by Mrs Adwoa Akyaama Ofosu, that the defence received the bill of indictment yesterday morning.
The court, subsequently, adjourned the hearing to February 5, 2015 for the committal hearing to begin.

In court with relatives
Limping in his left leg and supported by a walking stick, KKD appeared before the court accompanied by a few of his relatives, including his father, Opanyin Kwasi Darkwah (OKD), who has recently been showing up in court to show solidarity with his son.
After the hearing yesterday, Opanyin Darkwah aided his son to descend the stairs of the court and supported him to sit in his car.
Last hearing

At the last hearing on January 22, 2015, the state expressed its resolve to continue with KKD’s prosecution after formally charging him with rape.
The prosecution told the court that it had already taken a statement from the fashion and entertainment icon.

Withdrawal of case

On January 12, this year, the 19-year-old student at the centre of the case expressed her disinterest in pursuing the case.
She, consequently, communicated her decision to the police and made copies of the letter available to the Director of Public Prosecutions, the Registrar of the High Court and the Chief Justice.

KKD’s apology

In a statement signed and issued in Accra by KKD on January 13, 2015, he asked the public to forgive him for the ridicule and disgrace he had caused his family and that of the victim.

The Human Rights Division of the Accra High Court granted bail to KKD on humanitarian grounds on January 15, 2015.

The court had considered his ill- health as a factor, saying it was unfair for him to remain in police custody while undergoing medical treatment at his own expense.

It also said the state had failed to ensure that his health needs were met without cost to him, since the “right to life is inviolable and this court has a duty to enforce that”.
The court, subsequently, granted KKD bail in the sum of GH¢20,000, with two sureties.


KKD was arrested at the African Regent Hotel on Saturday, December 27, 2014 following the alleged rape.