Ghana looses a Lawyer cum Politician to Death

Former General Secretary of the administering New Patriotic Party (NPP), Kwadwo Owusu Afriyie, famously known as Sir John, is dead.

He is accounted for to have kicked the bucket in Accra after a short illness.

Until his passing, Sir John was the CEO of the Forestry Commission.

He kicked the bucket subsequent to testing positive for Covid-19

He capitulated to complexities of the infection while experiencing treatment at the ICU of the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital.

Mr Owusu Afriyie became CEO of the Forestry Commission in March 2018 subsequent to being named to that position by President Akufo-Addo.

The lawyer cum politician had recently filled in as general secretary of the overseeing party somewhere in the range of 2010 and 2014.

Forestry Commission Boss, Sir John Is Dead

In July 2013, Afriyie was brought to the Supreme Court of Ghana since he had offered some conceivably contemptuous remarks.

He had criticised the Court for its activities in a criminal disdain case including Sammy Awuku of the New Patriotic Party.

This was after he had inferred that the judges’ constant notice of open radio conversations on cases that were under the watchful eye of the court was a ploy by the court to abridge individuals from communicating.

After showing up under the steady gaze of the court, his guidance, Ayikoi Otoo, begged the court to be tolerant and pronounced that his customer had conceded to the charge.

As per Ayikoi Otoo, “… some power for which no one had control over, entered Owusu Afriyie, because as a lawyer, he ought to have known the law”.

The Peace Council additionally offered a request for Afriyie’s sake to the court. After a short preliminary, Afriyie was fined ¢5000 cedis or, in the event that he defaulted on installment, a six-month jail term.

Afriyie was made to sign an obligation of good conduct just as withdrawing and offering an expression of remorse to the seat inside 24 hours on a similar stage he had used to condemn the court.

Sources state he was admitted to the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital last Thursday and he was moved to the ICU when he began encountering breathing challenges.

He was in this manner put on a ventilator.


Sir John was born in the Ashanti Region and he attended Seventh Day Adventist Secondary School in Bekwai from where he obtained his GCE Ordinary level certificate.

He proceeded to obtain his GCE Advanced level certificate from Konongo Odumase Secondary School in Konongo.

Mr Owusu Afriyie was admitted to study political science at the University of Ghana after which he enrolled at the Ghana School of Law where he graduated with Bachelor of Laws.

He was then admitted as a solicitor and counsel for the Supreme Court of Ghana.

Source | ghana24-7