Barely 12 hours after organisers of the upcoming #dumsormuststop vigil announced, On-The-Run, as the new venue for the event, managers of the station there are saying no!
Manager of Total Ghana, owners of On-The-Run, say organisers of the vigil have not contacted them and therefore they cannot use their premises for the event.
This is the second venue in the past 24 hours that has turned down the request by Yvonne Nelson, Sarkodie, DKB and other celebrities to hold a vigil to protest the current power crisis.
The organisers were forced to change an initial venue of the University of Ghana after authorities of the university opposed the use of the school’s campus for the protest against the power crisis, referred to locally as ‘Dumsor’.
The vigil, which is expected to be a peaceful procession by the celebrities and their fans with lit candles, torchlights, and lanterns, is an offshoot of a social media campaign #dumsormuststop that Yvonne started last week.
Lawyers for Yvonne Nelson and Sarkodie wrote to the Greater Accra regional police command to inform them of the vigil. The police on Thursday gave the celebrities the green light to hold the vigil on May 16.
A letter by Total Petroleum Ghana Limited, copied Myjoyonline.com Friday, said organisers have not contacted them.
The letter, signed by Olivier Van Parys, Managing Director of Total Petroleum Ghana Limited, said
“Please note that our Company, Total petroleum Ghana Limited, which is the owner of the said location, has not been contacted for any such programme and would therefore request the general public to disregard the announcements running on various media including your online portal, myjoyonline.com.”
This means the organisers have to start looking for another venue for the May 16 event.